With social distancing and self quarantining (is that a word?) becoming more of the norm these days, I’m experimenting in the kitchen. If you enjoy creating specialties in your kitchen too, post your successes on Steeles Tavern Manor’s Instagram (steeles_tavern) or Facebook page and let’s start talking about good food.
Here’s a recipe I originally found in a magazine in my dentist’s office (guess I was hungry) and since found it online by blogger Cathy Roma – What Should I Make For….
We call it STM Eggcellent Skillet
1 tsp unsalted butter
1Tbsp heavy cream
1 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 tsp chives, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 400 degrees, Heat a 6 1/2 inch cast iron skillet over high heat on the stove for 1 minute, then turn off burner.
- Add butter, swirl around skillet (this is fun to do!!)
- Crack 2 eggs into ramekins. Add to skillet
- Drizzle the heavy cream over the eggs. Sprinkle with parmesan, thyme, chives, salt & pepper.
- Bake for 3 minutes or until whites are no longer runny and yolks are set but not fully cooked through and serve immediately in the skillet.
- Cracking the eggs into a ramekin instead directly into the skillet prevents egg shells from getting into your eggs and decreases chances of a broken yolk
- Don’t skip the cream! It helps t set the white as they cook.
- You can add veggies, meats, or other herbs and cheeses. Just make sure you sauté your veggies and meats before adding to the skillet (otherwise some veggies will make the skillet too watery)