There are plenty of things worth doing when you visit us at Steeles Tavern Manor, not least of which is hiking up to Crabtree Falls. It’s located on the popular Blue Ridge Parkway, which is considered one of the most beautiful drives in the entire country. Along this drive, as well as in the Shenandoah National Park to the north, there are a number of beautiful waterfalls, hiking trails, and other opportunities for recreation that are worth experiencing this summer.
While Crabtree Falls is one of many cascading waterfalls on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s one of the most popular. It also happens to be very near our luxurious Bed and Breakfast. Whether you’re just traveling down the incredible Blue Ridge Parkway and taking in some of the best scenery in the country, or whether you’re looking for a relaxing getaway destination with fun things to do around it, our Bed and Breakfast is the perfect place to relax and unwind.
We offer 5 stately guest rooms in our luxurious Manor, as well as three more intimate and private cabins on our property, perfect for romantic getaways and extended vacations – not to mention social distancing. With 50 acres to roam and plenty of nearby attractions to enjoy, there’s no better place to relax and unwind this summer than our exceptional Bed and Breakfast in Virginia. Book your room today!
An Easy & Beautiful Hike to Crabtree Falls
Crabtree Falls is just 20 minutes from our Virginia Bed and Breakfast and is the highest vertical-drop cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Altogether, there are five main (and several smaller) cascades that makeup Crabtree Falls, which cascade down for a total of 1,200 feet. The hiking trail to get to the falls is only about 2.5 miles roundtrip, but it is often considered a moderately strenuous trek thanks to its steep incline and rocky terrain.
Getting to Crabtree Falls from our Inn is pretty easy. It’s located at Milepost 27 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, or just east of us on Highway 56 E. The hike begins with a gentle descent down to the base of the towering 60-foot tall waterfall. The first overlook is just a few hundred down a paved and gentle trail that leads from the parking lot and is accessible for travelers of all ages and abilities.
From there, you can continue down the trail, where you’ll find 4 different overlooks, each offering a different view of this cascading beauty, along with these scenic stretches of the Tye River Valley. There’s a bridge that crosses in front of the waterfall for those picture-perfect views you’ve been looking for.
When you’re ready to head out, you can either return to the parking lot on this same trail, or you can extend your trip a little bit and take the loop trail, which climbs a ridge above the falls. The wildflowers here during the summer are absolutely spectacular so give yourself plenty of time to enjoy. Either way, the hike to Crabtree Falls is definitely worth the effort.
Other Great Waterfall Hikes Near Us
As we mentioned earlier, there are a number of beautiful waterfalls both on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Shenandoah National Park to the north. Here are 5 great waterfalls, all within an hour or so of our Virginia Bed and Breakfast:
- Doyles River Falls & Jones Run Falls are located in Shenandoah National Park and are very near each other. In fact, trails at Doyles River Falls lead the way to Jones Run Falls, making it an easy 2-for-1 stop for the day. There are also great swimming holes at the base of some of the waterfalls here, which is a great way to cool off in the summer!
- White Rock Falls is accessed from the Slacks Overlook parking lot and is a short and easy hike to a pretty waterfall.
- Wigwam Falls is one of the smallest waterfalls in the area, but the area it’s in is interesting and worth exploring nonetheless. There are remnants of an old railroad in the area, and the trail is largely shaded, making it a wonderful place to stretch your legs and take in the scenery.
- Apple Orchard Falls is one of the most popular hiking trails in the Jefferson National Forest. Not only is the area beautiful, but the 200-foot waterfall is an impressive sight to behold.
- Falling Water Cascades, while just over an hour from our Inn, is absolutely worth seeing. It’s part of the Flat Top National Recreation Trail, and the 100-foot waterfall won’t disappoint, as it makes its way down and drops over large rock outcroppings.
The Best Bed and Breakfast in Virginia
One of the best things about staying at our Bed and Breakfast in Virginia is waking up the peaceful tranquility our 50-acre property affords, and enjoying a leisurely and delicious breakfast. After that, adventure is yours for the taking. With great attractions like Crabtree Falls, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Shenandoah National Park nearby, there’s certainly plenty to choose from!
At the end of the day, unwind in simple luxury at Steeles Tavern Manor, and let us take care of the details while you sit back, relax, and enjoy summer as it was meant to be. Book your room at our luxurious Bed and Breakfast in Virginia today!