When most people think of a relaxing getaway, their minds go to weekend travel. It’s now October, and it may be time for you to use your vacation time or “lose it”. Here is a top ten list of reasons to take a few days off work, take advantage of that unused vacation time, and refresh yourself as you dive into the 4thquarter of work for 2018.
10. Fewer people traveling on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Steeles Tavern Manor B&B and Alpine Hideaway Cottages are located within approximately 6 miles from an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Enjoy the quiet of “America’s Favorite Drive” on a weekday.
9. Some Farmers Markets are open only during the week. If you are visiting the northern part of Augusta County, near Verona, you should stop by the North Augusta Farmers Market – but only on Wednesdays through the end of October. In downtown Lexington, the Lexington (Virginia) Farmer’s Market is open on the 3rdWednesday of the month from 8am to 12:30pm.
8. Hiking trails in our area are less busy during the week. Our favorite trail up to Crabtree Falls will be all yours during the week – especially now that school is back in session. Bonus: Finding a parking spot will be easy!
6. Area Wineries will have more space available at the tasting tables. You will have more opportunity to hear about how the grapes are grown, harvested, and made into wonderful Virginia wines.
5. If you are a “foodie”, enjoy local restaurants and get the reservation time you request during the week when the dining establishments are less busy. Perhaps you will be able to enjoy a conversation with the chef and hear about the special dish of the evening.
3. It will be easier to get a ticket to a play at The American Shakespeare Theatre near Staunton, VA. Midweek performances of “As You Like It”, “Emma”, “Richard III”, or “The Man of Mode or Sir Fopling Flutter” run Wednesday and Thursday nights through December 2, 2018.
2. Save money! Room rates at Steeles Tavern Manor B&B and Alpine Hideaway Cottages are lower Sunday night through Thursday night! AND there is usually more rooms available. You will receive the same great service and delicious breakfast as any weekend stay – for a lower rate. What’s not to like about that?!
1. You deserve a Midweek Getaway! You work hard – imagine enjoying a hike or a sip of wine when your coworkers are facing the usual pressure at work… What a feeling that will be!!
Make your reservation now for a midweek fall getaway to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia!